Skip to main content

An article for Vectra DA

My Journey with Rheumatoid Arthritis
Whenever I look back and try to remember when my symptoms started, I can’t help but wonder if all that severe joint pain as a child was more than just growing pains.  Maybe the severe fatigue and migraines all through high school were not normal and maybe all those times I got sick in college was more than just stress related.  It wasn’t until losing three pregnancies and experiencing four years of extreme suffering that I was finally diagnosed with three autoimmune diseases, one of those being Rheumatoid Arthritis.     
I was official diagnosed in 2012. I was on my sixth pregnancy and feeling sick all the time. My sister was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis a few months prior to me being diagnosed, so I had already googled everything I could and knew a little bit about what it meant. The initial diagnosis was a relief on top of extreme sadness. I say it was a relief because being sick for so long and not knowing what was causing it, was frustrating.  Finally having a name to what I was feeling felt like a new begging for me. Little did I know, it was just the start of a total life change.
My Rheumatologist began treating me and ordered a Vectra DA blood test. This was a great way to reference the level of inflammation that was present in my body.  It also helped my Doctor understand what kind of pain I was feeling. It kind of validated what I was telling him, when other blood work couldn’t do that.  I also set a goal to lower my test number. My first plan of action was to start taking medications, recommended by my doctor. I did not know that I had any other options. I spent the next four years on twenty something medications and injections.  Nothing really worked and the side effects were sometimes worse than the actual RA symptoms. If the disease didn’t kill me, the drugs I was taking would, and I could feel it.
Fast forward to December 2015, my intuition and body was telling me that taking these medications was wrong, and they were causing more harm than helping. I decided to try something different. I went to see a holistic doctor at a clinic here in Lubbock. I slowly got off all medications, including anti-depressants and heavy pain meds. I began to change my diet. I studied nutrition, started a probiotic, and practiced Paleo. I did a sugar detox and started taking supplements based on what my body was deficient in.  To my surprise, I started to feel better, a whole lot better!  I knew in my heart that this was a better way. I know I am not cured and that all my autoimmune diseases are still present in my body. I still have hard days. The difference now is that I have very few hard days and they are not even close to where I was before my lifestyle change.
My Vectra DA score moved from the High to the Moderate range and I expect it will be in the low range if I continue doing Paleo. My whole family has benefitted from this change. We use to get strep throat one to two times a month, along with other illnesses. My poor kids were on thirteen to fourteen antibiotics a year.  My whole family has been antibiotic free for seven months now and it feels amazing. We stick to organic, gluten free, and GMO free foods.  We also do not eat a lot of dairy and use only natural sweeteners, like honey. My grocery bill has gone up, but we no longer have the medical bill we once had.  My journey has just begun. I am doing all I can to teach my family a healthy way of life, so maybe they will not suffer the way I have for so long.
                                                          “Let food be thy medicine and medicine by thy food.”
                                                                                                                   Hippocrates



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RA... Say what?!?!?!

My name is Beth. I am 35 years old and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. The purpose of this blog is to educate, advocate, and provide a look into what it is like to have autoimmune diseases as a mother, wife, and person in general. I would like to take a step back and reflect on how I was diagnosed. It was 2012 and I was pregnant with my third child. I was sick with strep throat for the like 8th time in a year. I went into a walk in clinic and the Doctor looked at me and said "I would like to do some blood work on you. You are sick way to much and something is not right." That blood work was the answer to so many unanswered questions that I had had in my past. Long story short, I was referred to a Rheumatologist and found out I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, and Fibromyalgia. I also have a list of other issues that are autoimmune related such as a blood clotting disorder, thyroid disease, anxiety, and mild depression. The diagnosis, while awful, was an answer to 3 miscarriages

What I Want You To Know...

Like most that suffer from chronic diseases, I feel like people typically do not understand what it is like to walk (or not to walk) in our shoes. While I do not want to constantly focus on my ailments, I think it is important to spread awareness. It is crucial that we educate and provide basic knowledge for the general public. I chose this picture for this post because it hit home for me personally. I have lots of friends with Rheumatoid Disease that do indeed have severe arthritis. While I look at them and see strength, hope, and courage,  you can also see the pain and suffering through their disfigurements. My sister and I have many health issues, but one can not visibly see any deformities as of yet. While I am grateful that all my extremities are characterized as normal so far, this can make it hard for others to realize what type of struggles we go through on a day to day basis. I wanted to post some symptoms here that go hand in hand with Rheumatoid Disease. These were co

THE CHAIR

     I am having one of my HARD weeks this week. So hard in fact, that I can not bear the pain of standing up in the shower to bathe in the morning. I get so weak and dizzy from the shooting/throbbing/stabbing pain i want to faint. Like I have said before, I do get a little down and out, but I try to always see the good in every situation. So here it is...      When you have a disease like RA, it is essential to have supportive and loving people surround you. I just happen to have several in my life. Thanks be to God. My husband is at the top of the list. He isn't always perfect, but when I am hurting really bad, my husband really comes through for me. After complaining about how hard it is to stand in the shower, I asked my hubby to run to the store to buy me one of those chairs you put in the bath or shower to sit on. You know, the kind old people have to use... I woke up the next morning to find this chair put together and waiting for me. Instead of feeling sorry for myse