Skip to main content

Just keep swimming...



My name is Meredith Boutte.  I'm 34, a stay at home mom of a smart 8-year-old boy and have had a wonderful boyfriend for two years. I was first diagnosed about 6 years ago.  During that time, I was a full-time student working towards becoming a nurse.  I was doing a great job in school. When I first got sick, it took about a year to be diagnosed.  There were a lot of doctor visits and a whole lot of throwing fits just so that doctors would listen to me. At one point, I told the doctor that if they did not admit me I was going to hurt myself. It's sad that I had to go through such drastic extremes to get someone to listen to me, but it worked.



Soon after the hospital stay I was referred to a rheumatologist.  That changed my life forever.  At that time the diagnosis was such a relief because I was finally going to get help. I didn’t feel crazy anymore, yet the news put me into a state of depression. The only thing I knew about RA was what I had read and the pictures I saw. I was devastated even though i put on a smile.



Soon after my diagnosis, my sister was told she has RA.  I was so sad for her and her family, but it was a sigh of relief for me. I didn’t feel alone anymore. It is nice to have someone know what I was going through. My sister is my everything.  She is my strength, my will to keep going, and my therapist. 



Since having RA, I have come across a ton of people with opinions on the illness. Some of the things I hear the most are…

*You are too young to have that.

*Oh, my family member died from that. 

*Just be grateful it's not cancer. 

*Just stay positive. 

*My grandma has osteoarthritis. 

*Oh you will be fine just keep moving.

Sometimes when I say I have RA, they automatically check my hands to see if they are disfigured.  Just because they are not, I get looks like I'm lying, or they say it must not be that bad yet.  

I have become use to all the different responses and no longer take offense, because most people don't understand the disease and are ignorant. 



JUST BECAUSE…

*Just because I don't work doesn't mean I once didn't have a life plan or I am lazy and don't want a job. I would love to work. I think about it all the time. I have been truly blessed to be able to stay home since my diagnosis, but I would give anything to have the ability to work a full time job and come home and still be able to do everything at home as well. Doing normal house stuff like cleaning, making dinner, and being a mom literally takes everything I have in me. By 9pm I'm so tired I want to cry.



*Just because I kicked ass yesterday and maybe the day before that, doesn't mean today will be the same. Sometimes I have great days where I don't even realize I'm sick. Somedays I can do anything but those days are short lived. The more I do the better I feel but it takes a toll on my body physically and mentally. Sometimes, I have to give up and surrender to my disease.

*Just because I cancelled plans with a friend or had to tell my son we can’t play outside doesn’t mean I don't want to. I am not a flake, I just physically can’t. I want be a woman of my word so badly, but what I want and what I am able to do is a totally different thing.  I don't wake up and get to choose how I feel that day, my disease does. 



*Just because I take pain medication does not mean I'm an addict. Unfortunately, my pain meds are my life line and not having them is scary to me.  Your body gets used to having them so when you stop taking them, you have withdrawals. I want my doctor to know that my wellbeing depends on my meds.  When I call to get a refil,l I should not be put on a back burner. I should not have to throw a fit and sound like an addict to get pain meds. I deserve to have some quality of life. 



Just because I stay home all day doesn't mean the house will always be perfect. It is important for the husbands and significant others out there living with a person with RA.   It’s hard for them to understand how we feel after they worked all day and come home to a messy house. I feel so disappointed with myself when I can't do what others can.  When the dishes sit in the sink for days it is just because I feel so badly.  I only have enough energy for a few things. I choose to use the energy I have to play with my son.  I try to focus on what I did do that day.  Sometimes just getting the dishes done and washing clothes was a huge achievement for me, and it literally took everything I had to get it done.



What I have learned living with RA, is to not be so hard on myself.  Take a break when you need it and do what's important in life.  Playing with my son and giving him the best I can are more important than folding the clothes or doing the dishes. I must remind myself that even though I have been dealt this horrible card in life I am not going to let it take over me.  Stay positive even though it's hard to. It's ok to cry and be mad about what RA has stolen from me, but to also be grateful for the lessons I have learned from having it.  You are not alone.  Find people that share your struggles because people that do not have illnesses will never understand what you are going through. Last, it's ok to be scared.  RA not only effects your joints but your whole body.  Have your pity party because RA sucks and nobody can be strong all the time.  Just remember to not stay there.  Pity parties are not fun, and we have to keep going.  
As the infamous Dory would say… Just keep swimming.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RA... Say what?!?!?!

My name is Beth. I am 35 years old and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. The purpose of this blog is to educate, advocate, and provide a look into what it is like to have autoimmune diseases as a mother, wife, and person in general. I would like to take a step back and reflect on how I was diagnosed. It was 2012 and I was pregnant with my third child. I was sick with strep throat for the like 8th time in a year. I went into a walk in clinic and the Doctor looked at me and said "I would like to do some blood work on you. You are sick way to much and something is not right." That blood work was the answer to so many unanswered questions that I had had in my past. Long story short, I was referred to a Rheumatologist and found out I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, and Fibromyalgia. I also have a list of other issues that are autoimmune related such as a blood clotting disorder, thyroid disease, anxiety, and mild depression. The diagnosis, while awful, was an answer to 3 miscarriages

What I Want You To Know...

Like most that suffer from chronic diseases, I feel like people typically do not understand what it is like to walk (or not to walk) in our shoes. While I do not want to constantly focus on my ailments, I think it is important to spread awareness. It is crucial that we educate and provide basic knowledge for the general public. I chose this picture for this post because it hit home for me personally. I have lots of friends with Rheumatoid Disease that do indeed have severe arthritis. While I look at them and see strength, hope, and courage,  you can also see the pain and suffering through their disfigurements. My sister and I have many health issues, but one can not visibly see any deformities as of yet. While I am grateful that all my extremities are characterized as normal so far, this can make it hard for others to realize what type of struggles we go through on a day to day basis. I wanted to post some symptoms here that go hand in hand with Rheumatoid Disease. These were co

THE CHAIR

     I am having one of my HARD weeks this week. So hard in fact, that I can not bear the pain of standing up in the shower to bathe in the morning. I get so weak and dizzy from the shooting/throbbing/stabbing pain i want to faint. Like I have said before, I do get a little down and out, but I try to always see the good in every situation. So here it is...      When you have a disease like RA, it is essential to have supportive and loving people surround you. I just happen to have several in my life. Thanks be to God. My husband is at the top of the list. He isn't always perfect, but when I am hurting really bad, my husband really comes through for me. After complaining about how hard it is to stand in the shower, I asked my hubby to run to the store to buy me one of those chairs you put in the bath or shower to sit on. You know, the kind old people have to use... I woke up the next morning to find this chair put together and waiting for me. Instead of feeling sorry for myse